How Do You Clean Suede Shoes At Home?
Carmen: Pale Gray Suede
How To Clean Suede Shoes
How do you clean suede shoes? The age-old question! Suede is a rich material that looks both smart and stylish, especially for footwear. However, this leather is also very delicate and it can easily become stained or marked. As such, keeping your suede shoes looking fresh and clean can be a tricky task and you may be wondering how to clean your suede shoes.
Cleaning and protecting suede shoes is blissfully quick and easy. We are here to help you keep your favourite Sole Bliss suede shoes looking as good as new. Just follow these helpful tips and tricks!
Protecting your suede shoes before wear:
Before wearing a new pair of suede shoes, it is always advisable to use a suede protector. You can use any reputable brand. We would recommend a clear suede protector. You should use a suede protector before you first step outside in your suede shoes.
Use the suede protector in a well-ventilated area and apply at least two coats. We always suggest patch testing the spray on a small area at the back of the shoe to make sure you are happy with the results before applying all over. Be aware that the spray will often temporarily darken the suede.
Once you have applied a suede protector let your shoes dry overnight. Avoid drying your suede shoes in direct sunlight because it may cause the colour to fade. You are now ready to wear your new suede shoes!
How to regularly clean your suede shoes:
We know you'll love your Sole Bliss shoes from the minute you put them on and you'll want to wear them with everything, everywhere! Depending how often you wear your suede shoes, from time to time you may want to freshen them up. To keep your suede shoes looking fresh, we recommend cleaning them approximately every 3 months.
It is simple to clean your suede shoes to make them look brand new again! All you need is a suede brush, a suede cleaner, a towel and a shoe tree (or simply some scrunched up newspaper). Follow these steps to cleaning suede shoes:
- Before cleaning your suede shoes, remove the laces (if your suede shoes have laces) and insert a shoe tree or some scrunched up newspaper to help them hold their shape.
- Use a suede brush first to remove surface dirt and dust. Suede brushes generally have thin rubber strands on one side and bristles on the other. Brush your suede shoes gently. Don't go back and forth: brush repeatedly in the same direction. Once you get off this layer of dirt and dust, your shoes will already look newer!
- Then use a repeatable suede cleaner on the suede and work in with a towel or the suede brush. Allow your shoes to fully dry.
- Once the suede is dry use the brush again to make the suede look neat and fresh.
How to clean tougher stains on suede shoes:
For tougher stains, we would recommend using white vinegar to clean your suede shoes, as it does not leave any marks. Never use water to clean your suede shoes.
Apply a modest amount of white vinegar to a clean, soft cloth (rather than applying the vinegar directly on to your shoes). Then dab the vinegar on the stain and ensure the whole mark is treated with the vinegar. Let it dry.
Afterwards, use your suede brush to brush the mark again and it should prove significantly more effective.
Lizzie: Khaki Suede Shoes
Top tips for cleaning suede shoes:
Now that you know how to protect and clean suede shoes, all that remains is for you to choose your favourite suede shoes from Sole Bliss! Before you shop, here are our last few top tips for cleaning suede shoes:
- If the suede does get wet due to weather or accidents, it is important to act fast. Blot as much moisture as possible with a cloth or paper towel. Once your shoes are dry, you should lightly brush the suede with a suede brush.
- To remove light stains on suede shoes, brush firmly with a suede brush using a back-and-forth motion. You can also clean spot stains using a suede eraser.
- When storing your suede shoes keep them in a cool place in dust bag or shoe box. This will protect them from any dust and sunlight. All Sole Bliss shoes come with a protective dust bag.
Browse our Full Collection of Suede Shoes